The Veterans Commission serves in an advisory capacity to the City Council and the City Manager. The Commission makes recommendations to the City Council and the City Manager with respect to military veteran related issues, ceremonies, events and activities that occur within the City. Commission meetings provide a forum for discussion of issues relating to military veterans. Upon request, the Commission provides advice and assistance to City residents regarding resources available to veterans’, and their spouses and dependents. The Veterans’ Commission shall act as a conduit of communication and coordination between the local military veteran community and the City of El Cajon.
Minutes from previous Veterans Commission meetings:
July 10, 2013
August 14, 2013
September 11, 2013
December 4, 2013
January 29, 2014
May 19, 2014
August 28, 2014
October 22, 2014
February 19, 2015
March 19, 2015
April 23, 2015
May 28, 2015
July 30, 2015
August 20, 2015
October 22, 2015
February 18, 2016
March 7, 2016
April 18, 2016
June 8, 2016
August 10, 2016
October 19, 2016
December 14, 2016
April 17, 2017
June 12, 2017
August 14, 2017
A. The Veterans Commission shall consist of five members. Not less than four members must be residents of the City at the time of applying for the Commission and who shall continue to reside in the City during their term of office. The fifth member is at all times qualified as set forth in subsection B, below.
B. In order to have a broad representation of the various military veterans’ issues and groups in the City, three members of the Commission must be honorably discharged from the U.S. Armed Forces, and an active member of one of the following veteran’s groups:
- American Legion, Post 303
- Veterans of Foreign Wars, Post 2275
- Navy Fleet Reserve Association, Branch 47
- AMVETS, Post 17
- Marine Corps League Detachment, Post 1032
C. In addition to the members designated above in subsection B. one member of the Commission must be honorable discharged from the U.S. Armed Forces, but need not be an active member of a veterans’ group identified in subsection B above.
D. In addition to the members designated in subsections B and C above, one member of the Commission must be in active service or a reservist with the U.S. Armed Forces and be a resident of El Cajon.
E. Members are required to file a Form 700 according to provisions of the Political Reform Act, the Fair Political Practices Commission, and the City's Conflict of Interest Code.
Applications are accepted on a continuous basis and will be kept on file for future vacancies. You can submit this application by email, mail or in person. Applications must be signed.
Email to: CityClerk@cityofelcajon.us
Mail or deliver to: City Clerk's Office, 200 Civic Center Way, El Cajon, CA 92020
NOMINATION AND APPOINTMENT:
Section 2.24.030 of the El Cajon Municipal Code specifies the composition of the Commission as follows:
|Appointed by Mayor with approval of the City Council
|** Theodore Kagan||01/26/2016||01/31/2020|
|*** George V. Glover||
* 1 member appointed by the City Council is active service or reservist with the U.S. Armed Forces and a resident of El Cajon.
** 3 members appointed by the City Council that have been honorably discharged from the U.S. Armed Forces; two must be residents and one is permitted to be a resident or non-resident. All three members must also be active members of a City of El Cajon based 501(c)19 veterans’ organization.
*** 1 member appointed by the City Council must be a resident of El Cajon and have been honorably discharged from the U.S. Armed Forces, but does NOT need to be a member of a 501(c)19 veterans’ organization based in El Cajon.
Terms are four years, but please note that initial terms on this newly created commission have been staggered, per Municipal Code Section 2.24.050. The Commission meets quarterly or as needed. The next scheduled meeting will be announced prior to July 10, 2013. For more information, please contact the Recreation Department at (619) 441-1754.
Past Activities of the Veterans Commission
- May 20, 2017 - El Cajon's America on Main Street event
- November 11, 2016 - Honoring Our Veterans event & Veteran of the Year Award presentation
- May 21, 2016 - El Cajon's America on Main Street event
- April 5, 2016 - Stoney's Neighborhood Park KaBOOM! Playground
- November 11, 2015 - Honoring Our Veterans event
- June 20, 2015 - KaBOOM! Community Playground Build at Bill Beck Park
- May 16, 2015 - El Cajon's America on Main Street event
- November 12, 2014 - Honoring Our Veterans event
- June 14, 2014 - El Cajon's America on Main Street event
- June 7, 2014 - KaBOOM! Community Playground Build at Wells Park
- March 18, 2014 - Veterans Suicide Prevention Seminar partnering with AMVETS
- November 12, 2013 - Centennial Farewell & Honoring Our Veterans Event
- November 9, 2013 - KaBOOM! Community Build Playground at Bostonia Park