Welcome to the City News page!
Filter the news postings by category and/or department.
Stay Cool - How To Beat the Heat
Heat Advisory: The weather service is predicting very hot weather - stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water. In addition, never leave children, the elderly or pets alone in a vehicle - not even for a moment!
To help stay cool, especially with high energy costs, find a local "Cool Zone." The Cool Zones program, initiated by County Supervisor Dianne Jacob, has established a network of Cool Zone sites, especially for seniors and persons with disabilities to escape the extreme heat during the summer. There are more than 115 locations throughout San Diego County. For a list of those Cool Zones around the County go to: http://www.coolzones.org/.
In the City of El Cajon you'll find the following Cool Zone areas:
- Salvation Army - Senior Dining & Social Center - 1011 E. Main Street, El Cajon, CA 92021 - M-F 10:30am to 12:30pm - (619) 440-2457, Ext. 413 & 414
- East County Regional Center - 250 E. Main Street - M-F 8a-5p Phone - (619) 886-6388
- El Cajon Library - 201 E. Douglas Avenue - M-th-9:30a-8p, F-9:30a-5pm, Sat-9:30a-5p, Sun-12p-5p - (619) 588-3726
- Fletcher Hills Library - 576 Garfield Avenue - T/Th - 9:30a-6p, W - 12p-8p, F & Sat-9:30a-5p. (619) 466-1132
- Parkway Plaza Mall - 400 Fletcher Parkway - M-S 10a-9p, Sun-11a-7. (619) 494-3729
Cool Zones are designated, air-conditioned buildings, identified by a Polar Bear Cool Zone logo. The program, launched by Supervisor Jacob on May 22, 2018, will remain in effect through October 31, 2018.