Welcome to the City News page!
Filter the news postings by category and/or department.
What's Happening in El Cajon
Special Activities & Events:
El Cajon’s 6th Annual America on Main Street
El Cajon, CA – The City of El Cajon invites all to the 6th annual America on Main Street event on Saturday, May 18, from 2 p.m. until 9 p.m. Admission and parking are free for this family-friendly community event.
Celebrating the 50th Anniversary of the 1969 lunar landing, El Cajon selected this year’s theme as “Out of this World.” The event also honors Armed Forces Day.
Event highlights include:
- Naturalization Ceremony at 1:30 p.m.
- Over 150 booths - including food booths from around the world
- Space & Science Zone with space-themed inflatables
- First Responder Safety Zone
- Military displays
- Free carnival rides, games, arts and crafts, and a reptile petting zoo
- Face painting and balloon artists
- Three stages featuring over 30 bands, community groups, and street performers
- Scavenger Hunt for a chance to win a guitar from Taylor Guitar or bicycles
- Light show at 8:45 p.m.
Join the party in downtown El Cajon on Main Street and Magnolia Avenue. Please call (619) 441-1754 or visit www.americaonmainstreet.org to learn more.
- Date: Saturday, May 18
- Time: 2 p.m. to 9 p.m.
- Location: East Main Street (between Magnolia Avenue and Ballantyne Street)
2019 “Dinner & a Concert” Season Has Begun!
FREE concerts are back Friday nights in Downtown El Cajon! This Friday, May 10, it’s Wild Heart playing Contemporary Country music! Concerts are from 6 p.m. - 8 p.m. at the Prescott Promenade at 201 E. Main Street.
Please note: The following week, the concert with the group Stars on the Water, will be held on Thursday night, May 16 due to the set-up for America on Main Street. For more details on all the upcoming concerts please visit www.downtownelcajon.com.
Wednesday Night Cajon Classic Cruise Car Shows Continue!
Enjoy the 2019 Season of Cajon Classic Cruise Car Shows every Wednesday night through October 30! Kids Day to Play is the theme of the next car show on May 15. Car shows are from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. along East Main Street between Magnolia and Claydelle Avenues. This very fun event is hosted by the Downtown El Cajon Business Partners. For more information, please visit www.downtownelcajon.com, or call (619) 334-3000.
Bike to Work Day Is Thursday - May 16
Register for Bike to Work Day and join thousands of commuters as we GO by BIKE on the morning of Thursday, May 16. When you register for Bike to Work Day, you can pick up a free t-shirt at one of 100 pit stops throughout San Diego County from 6 to 9 a.m. In the City of El Cajon, the pit stop will be located in front of the Prescott Promenade, 201 E. Main Street. For more information, please visit www.icommutesd.com.
- May 14 - El Cajon City Council Meetings are at 3 p.m. and 7 p.m., as needed. Meetings are held in the Council Chamber at 200 Civic Center Way. For more information, and to view the full agenda online, please visit www.cityofelcajon.us.
- May 17 - Alternate Friday closure for El Cajon City offices. Please go to www.cityofelcajon.us for a full calendar of office hours for City offices during 2019.
- May 27 - City offices will be closed in observance of Memorial Day.
Save the Dates:
Free Summer Movies in the Park
Enjoy nine (9) “free” summer movies from June through August at various parks in the City of El Cajon!
- Saturday, June 22 – Hillside Park – 840 Buena Terrace – Teen Titans Go
- Friday, June 28 – Wells Park – 1153 East Madison Avenue – Avengers Infinity War
- Saturday, July 6 – Fletcher Hills Park – 2345 Center Place – Aquaman – (You must pre-register for this movie)
- Saturday, July 12 – Bill Beck Park – 543 N. Pierce Street – Incredibles 2
- Saturday, July 19 – Bostonia Park – 1049 Bostonia Street – Big Hero 6
- Saturday, July 26 – Kennedy Park – 1675 East Madison Avenue – Ant-Man & the Wasp
- Friday, August 2 – Renette Park – 935 Emerald Avenue – Spiderman into the Spiderverse
- Friday, August 6 – Prescott Promenade – 201 E. Main Street – Justice League
- Saturday, August 17 – Wells Park – 1153 East Madison Avenue - Captain Marvel
Enjoy fun activities prior to the start of the movie at nightfall. Schedule subject to change without prior notice. For more information, visit www.elcajonrec.org or call (619) 873-1641.
Stay Informed – Register Now for E-Notification! Stay on Top of Special City Events, Meetings and Services!
Visit the City of El Cajon’s website at www.cityofelcajon.us. Register now for the “E-NOTIFICATION” system and select the information you would like to receive email notifications about meetings, news releases and upcoming community events.
*This event column is courtesy of Monica Zech, Public Information Officer for the City of El Cajon - (619) 441-1737 or email@example.com.