On Friday, April 24th, the City released more than $130,000 from the General Fund for assistance to existing food distribution programs in El Cajon. Organizations submitted funding requests and letters of commitment identifying how any funds received would be used and agreed to use these funds only for food purchases and distributions in El Cajon. The following non-profit and faith-based organizations received funding:
- Chaldean and Middle Eastern Social Services
- El Cajon Seventh Day Adventist
- Meals on Wheels
- Meridian Southern Baptist Church
- Our Lady of Grace
- Salvation Army
- The Rock Church
The following resources are available if you are experiencing food shortages during this time. It is recommended that you contact each resources directly for food availability.
- CalFRESH - Due to COVID-19, if you are not yet getting the maximum for your household, extra emergency CalFRESH benefits will be sent to your EBT account. (866) 262-9881
- Beginning April 28, CalFresh recipients can use their EBT card to buy food online at Walmart and Amazon. Spend $35.00 or more on groceries and get home delivery for free.
- Feeding San Diego - Serving the community during the stay at home order because hunger relief is an exempt activity. Every precaution is being taken to protect the safety of their staff and volunteers during this time while providing essential services to those in need.
- Senior food delivery - The County of San Diego has created a new program for older adults to receive up to three meals delivered to their homes per day. The Great Plates Delivery program runs through June 10, but may be extended further. See the County's website for qualifications and to sign up.
- Food & meal distribution sites (East County Assist) - This interactive map displays locations of food pantries and distributions sites throughout the County by toggling the map.
- San Diego Food Bank - If you are in need of food assistance, please call 2-1-1 and an operator will provide you with the nearest food distributions site. The Food Bank's toll free number is also available: 866-350-FOOD (3663).
- San Diego Hunger Coalition - Specific food resources for:
- Stay Home San Diego - If you are over 65, live in greater San Diego, and need basic necessities, Stay Home SD delivers groceries to those in need from Imperial Beach to Fallbrook, from Ocean Beach to Alpine.
The City has compiled a listing of food distribution times, dates, and locations. For further questions related to any specific resource, please contact the site directly.