The Veterans Commission serves in an advisory capacity to the City Council and the City Manager. The Commission makes recommendations to the City Council and the City Manager with respect to military veteran related issues, ceremonies, events and activities that occur within the City. Commission meetings provide a forum for discussion of issues relating to military veterans. Upon request, the Commission provides advice and assistance to City residents regarding resources available to veterans’, and their spouses and dependents. The Veterans’ Commission shall act as a conduit of communication and coordination between the local military veteran community and the City of El Cajon.
AGENDA - December 10, 2018 Meeting
A. The Veterans Commission shall consist of five members. Not less than four members must be residents of the City at the time of applying for the Commission and who shall continue to reside in the City during their term of office. The fifth member is at all times qualified as set forth in subsection B, below.
B. In order to have a broad representation of the various military veterans’ issues and groups in the City, three members of the Commission must be honorably discharged from the U.S. Armed Forces, and an active member of one of the following veteran’s groups:
- American Legion, Post 303
- Veterans of Foreign Wars, Post 2275
- Navy Fleet Reserve Association, Branch 47
- AMVETS, Post 17
- Marine Corps League Detachment, Post 1032
C. In addition to the members designated above in subsection B. one member of the Commission must be honorable discharged from the U.S. Armed Forces, but need not be an active member of a veterans’ group identified in subsection B above.
D. In addition to the members designated in subsections B and C above, one member of the Commission must be in active service or a reservist with the U.S. Armed Forces and be a resident of El Cajon.
E. Members are required to file a Form 700 according to provisions of the Political Reform Act, the Fair Political Practices Commission, and the City's Conflict of Interest Code.
The Veterans Commission has no vacancies at this time.
NOMINATION AND APPOINTMENT:
Section 2.24.030 of the El Cajon Municipal Code specifies the composition of the Commission as follows:
|Appointed by Mayor with approval of the City Council
|** Theodore Kagan||01/26/2016||01/31/2020|
|*** Edgar Moscoso||
* 1 member appointed by the City Council is active service or reservist with the U.S. Armed Forces and a resident of El Cajon.
** 3 members appointed by the City Council that have been honorably discharged from the U.S. Armed Forces; two must be residents and one is permitted to be a resident or non-resident. All three members must also be active members of a City of El Cajon based 501(c)19 veterans’ organization.
*** 1 member appointed by the City Council must be a resident of El Cajon and have been honorably discharged from the U.S. Armed Forces, but does NOT need to be a member of a 501(c)19 veterans’ organization based in El Cajon.
Terms are four years, but please note that initial terms on this newly created commission have been staggered, per Municipal Code Section 2.24.050. The Commission meets quarterly or as needed. The next scheduled meeting will be announced prior to July 10, 2013. For more information, please contact the Recreation Department at (619) 441-1754.
Past Activities of the Veterans Commission
- May 20, 2017 - El Cajon's America on Main Street event
- November 11, 2016 - Honoring Our Veterans event & Veteran of the Year Award presentation
- May 21, 2016 - El Cajon's America on Main Street event
- April 5, 2016 - Stoney's Neighborhood Park KaBOOM! Playground
- November 11, 2015 - Honoring Our Veterans event
- June 20, 2015 - KaBOOM! Community Playground Build at Bill Beck Park
- May 16, 2015 - El Cajon's America on Main Street event
- November 12, 2014 - Honoring Our Veterans event
- June 14, 2014 - El Cajon's America on Main Street event
- June 7, 2014 - KaBOOM! Community Playground Build at Wells Park
- March 18, 2014 - Veterans Suicide Prevention Seminar partnering with AMVETS
- November 12, 2013 - Centennial Farewell & Honoring Our Veterans Event
- November 9, 2013 - KaBOOM! Community Build Playground at Bostonia Park
Veterans Commission Minutes Archive:
- July 10, 2013
- August 14, 2013
- September 11, 2013
- December 4, 2013
- January 29, 2014
- May 19, 2014
- August 28, 2014
- October 22, 2014
- February 19, 2015
- March 19, 2015
- April 23, 2015
- May 28, 2015
- July 30, 2015
- August 20, 2015
- October 22, 2015
- February 18, 2016
- March 7, 2016
- April 18, 2016
- June 8, 2016
- August 10, 2016
- October 19, 2016
- December 14, 2016
- April 17, 2017
- June 12, 2017
- August 14, 2017
- October 14, 2017
- December 11, 2017
- February 2, 2018
- April 9, 2018
- June 18, 2018
- October 8, 2018