Building Permits

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

 At this time, floors 2-6 of El Cajon City Hall are closed to the public, but Building and Fire Safety staff are conducting business online, by email, and by telephone. 

How to Submit for a Plan Check

Owner/Builder Permits

Contractor Permits

Mobile Home Inspections

How To Submit For A Plan Check

build_intro_new 2_clip_image003

The Project Assistance Center Online (PACO) is the preferred method to submit for plan check.  PACO can be accessed at this link:

In order to submit an online application you must first register an account with the Project Assistance Center Online, or PACO.  Instructions for registering for an account can be found here:

PACO Account Registration Instructions 

Submitting an application on paper will require 4 copies of the plans (2 for fire permits) along with two copies of any supporting documentation. You will also need to fill out a permit application and any additional forms that may be required based on the complexity and scope of your project. Typical forms that may be required include the Certification of Easements, energy efficiency documentation, hazardous materials questionnaire, etc. At this time paper submissions can be dropped off in the lobby of City Hall.  Please coordinate with Building staff when submitting in paper form.

Frequently Asked Questions:

How long will it take for my plan check to be completed?

Time periods vary depending on workloads but a typical plan check submittal will take about three to four weeks.

Will you contact me when the plan check is done?

Yes. We’ll contact you when the plans are ready for pickup.

What do I do once the plan check is done?

For online submittals you can log in to your account with the Project Assistance Center Online (PACO) and view corrections to your plans on the site.

For paper submittals, you can pick up your plans in the lobby of City Hall, and make the necessary corrections on the plans. Once all of the corrections are made, you will need to resubmit them for recheck by dropping them in the basket in the lobby.  Please notify Building staff if you plan to pick up or drop of paper submissions.

How long will recheck take?

Typically, a recheck takes about one to two weeks.

Click here for a complete list of forms

The following is a list of projects that do not require Plans:

Water Heaters
Replacing Plumbing Fixtures
Re-roofs (not exceeding 700# per square)
Electric Service Upgrades
New Furnace
Electric Meter Reset
Replace Furnace
Misc. Electrical Work
New AC
Portable Spas
Replace AC
Gas Meter Reset
Retrofit Window Replacement (no change in size, and must meet current standards for emergency egress)

Owner/Builder Permits

Public Assistance CenterIf you are the property owner, the Building & Fire Safety Group can issue you a permit to do work on your own property. In order to obtain an owner/builder permit you will need the following documentation:

  • A permit application with job description

  • Identification as the property owner

  • For reroofs you will need a reroof application

  • For new meters or meter upgrades you will need documentation of approved location from SDG&E

  • Declaration on the owner/builder form

    Contractor Permits

If you are a licensed contractor, the Building & Fire Safety Division can issue a permit to the contractor or contractor’s agent. In order to obtain a permit as a contractor you will need the following documentation.

  • A permit application with project description
  • A workers' compensation certificate
  • Contractors State License information
  • A current City of El Cajon business license
  • For new meters or meter upgrades, you will need documentation of approved location from SDG&E
  • For re-roofs, you will need a re-roof application

Click here for a complete list of forms

Frequently Asked Questions:

How much will the permit cost?

The fee structure in use by the City is updated on a periodic basis. For an estimate of fees you may call the general information line of the Building and Fire Safety Group and get an estimate of the fee for your particular project.

What do I do once I have my permit?

Once your permit is obtained you may begin your project. Required inspections will be listed on the inspection sheet of your permit. Do not cover any aspect of construction (underground, wall framing, etc.) until you have obtained a passing inspection.

What percentage of construction and demolition waste am I required to divert from the landfill?

You are required to divert 65% of construction and demolition waste from the landfill.  Visit the Construction and Demolition page for more information.

Mobile Home Inspections 

build_intro_new 2_clip_image009The Building and Fire Safety Group conducts inspections of new mobile home installations, accessory structures for mobile homes, and state mandated mobile home park inspections.

To apply for a mobile home installation permit submit a permit application, a mobile home installation application, and two copies of the mobile home installation instructions (specific to your mobile home) to the Building and Fire Safety Division. For accessory structures include a permit application, mobile home accessory structures form, and two copies of your plans or standard plan approval (please be advised that the park manager’s signature is required on the mobile home installation application and the mobile home accessories form). Changes to the interior of the mobile home are permitted through the State Department of Housing and Community Development.

Your mobile home park may receive inspections on a periodic basis in order to verify compliance with state regulations related to mobile home parks. If your park is scheduled for an inspection, you will receive notification from the park manager of the time and date of the inspection.

Frequently Asked Questions:

How long will it take for my permit application to be approved?

Time periods vary depending on work loads but a permit application for a mobile home installation can typically be approved within three weeks.

What do I do once I have my permit?

Your mobile home installation contractor will typically call for an inspection for the mobile home setup.

Click here for a complete list of forms

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer