Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

What is exempt from requiring a permit?

  • Single story detached accessory buildings used as a tool room, storage room, or playhouse when erected in connection with a residence and not exceeding 120 square feet in area. Zoning setbacks still apply.
  • Fences not over 6 feet high.
  • Movable cases, counters, and partitions not over 5'9" feet high.
  • Retaining walls not retaining a slope and not over 4 feet high as measured from the bottom of the footing.
  • Water tanks not over 5,000 gallons.
  • Sidewalks and driveways not more than 30" above adjacent grade and not part of an accessible route.
  • Satellite dishes 3 feet in diameter or less.
  • Painting, papering, and similar finish work.
  • Window awnings in connection with residences when not extending over 54 inches from the wall.
  • Temporary motion picture and theater stage sets. 

dept_comm_build_questions_cHow long is my permit good for?

  • Your permit is good for 12 months from the date of issue. Calling for regular inspections validates your permit and extends it for an additional 12 months past the date of the inspection. Your permit will expire three (3) years from the date of issue.

How do I call for an inspection?

  • Once your permit is obtained you may schedule an inspection on the Project Assistance Center website (registration is required). Click here to access the PACO website.

How much advance notice do I need to give before an inspection?

  • Inspections must be scheduled on the PACO website no later than 7:00 AM on the day of the requested inspection.

Will someone call me when my permit is ready?

  • Yes. We will contact you when your permit is ready.

Where do I pay for school fees?

  • School fee forms are typically picked up with your plan check corrections and may be paid directly to the applicable schools districts at the address listed on the form.