Starting a New business

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

As a new business, it is important to consider the potential impact of your activities on local creeks, rivers and the ocean.

Pollutants discharged to local creeks, rivers and the ocean during storms or through illegal dumping significantly contribute to water pollution, and harm to aquatic life. In response to Federal and State regulations and requirements, municipalities in San Diego County have joined to form a Countywide Clean Water Program. In addition to reviewing their own practices, municipalities in San Diego County have launched a public education campaign and inspection program.

Rolls of plans

Inspectors work with new and existing businesses to identify and control potential discharge of pollutants to the storm drain system. All businesses can implement common-sense Best Management Practices (BMPs) to reduce or eliminate their contribution to storm water pollution. Most BMPs involve modest changes to routine operations and maintenances practices. Implementing BMPs can save you time and money by preventing potential violations. The information on the reverse side of this page identifies some activities that contribute to storm water runoff pollution as well as appropriate BMPs to control or eliminate these discharges.

A particular concern for new businesses is that all drains be properly plumbed. In general, only rain isPDR_0639 allowed in the storm drains. If possible, proper disposal of wastewater should be considered before buying or leasing a site, to avoid expensive re-plumbing. Most wastewaters must discharge to the sanitary sewer system. If you don’t know where a drain discharges, contact a qualified plumber or utility locator for help.

An El Cajon Storm Water Program representative can help you determine where the drain should discharge. You can also get help on how to redirect the discharge if it needs to be changed.

Contact Us

For more information, contact the El Cajon Storm Water Protection Program:

by phone: (619) 441-1653 or email: