Welcome to the City of El Cajon's Parks & Recreation Virtual Recreation and Resource Center! This is your place for fun, educational, and useful resources through these uncertain and turbulent times. We are committed to ensuring that our resilient community members have resources to maintain healthy lives, grow meaningful relationships and continue to have extraordinary experiences.
Visit this page often and follow us on Instagram or Facebook for new updates and ideas to keep you and your loved ones healthy, entertained, and informed. Please note that we do not endorse or receive funds to advertise any of the third party sites or services listed or referenced on this page. Some resources may require the creation of an account.
Have a great idea or resource you’d like to share? Email us
Online Rec Squad
To continue to enjoy City of El Cajon recreation programs during this time, visit our Rec Squad page, where you will find fun, informational videos about arts and crafts, cooking, sports, and more!
As our daily lives are filled with more indoor time, there are many ways to stay healthy and active.
Here are a few ideas for staying active indoors.
- Take a Virtual Fitness Class - There are plenty of FREE options online. Here are just a few:
- For the Kids
Did you know that even when practicing Social Distancing, individuals can still "engage in outdoor activities, provided the individuals comply with the Social Distancing Requirements...such as, by way of example and without limitation, walking, hiking and running." Here are a few ideas (don’t forget your Social Distance rules!).
- Visit a local park - Our parks are free and still open to the public. Don’t forget to tag us on social media. #elcajonrec #RecSquad
- Visit a nearby County or State Park - Check online to see which are all still open.
- Walk/run around your neighborhood and say hi (from a distance) to all of your neighbors who are getting outside too.
- Track your miles with Nike Run Club- remember to stay in your neighborhood and practice social distancing.
Although we’re all social distancing physically, as humans we need to stay connected emotionally. Try one or two of these out every day.
- Call, video chat, or write a letter to a friend or relative you haven’t spoken to in a while to check in. These are healthy ways to maintain relationships even while practicing social distancing.
- Support a local restaurant - Many restaurants are still open for take out or delivery orders. Support your favorite joints and order food for pick up or try out Grubhub, DoorDash or UberEats and have it brought to you.
- Volunteer- There are many opportunities to volunteer to help those in our community. There are food pantries in El Cajon that may need extra help during this period of high demand. Information on food banks here is the website.
- Take breaks from watching, reading, or listening to news stories, including social media. Hearing about the pandemic repeatedly can be upsetting.
- Make sure you take time throughout the day to unplug from your electronic devices- this can help lower your stress levels.
- Take care of your body. Take deep breaths, stretch, or meditate. Try to eat healthy, well-balanced meals, exercise regularly, get plenty of sleep and make time to unwind.
- Connect with others. Talk with people you trust about your concerns and how you are feeling.
- Work on Mindfulness - Mindfulness is a type of meditation in which you focus on being intensely aware of what you’re sensing and feeling in the moment, without interpretation or judgment. Practicing mindfulness involves breathing methods, guided imagery, and other practices to relax the body and mind and help reduce stress.
- Talk to your family- The CDC offers tips on how to talk to your children about the COVID-19 disease.
Exercise your Brain
- Visit San Diego County's Virtual Library- The library has tons of free ebooks ready for you to enjoy.
- Visit The San Diego Public Library's new apps: SDPL To Go makes it easy to find and discover titles and manage your account; you can also search for eBooks and eAudiobooks, download titles, and listen to them on CloudLibrary; or search for eAudiobooks, download titles, and listen to them on RBLibrary.
- Explore Audible's list of free audiobooks, including stories for all ages and in multiple languages.
- Learn a new language- The Spanish Experiment provides free Spanish lessons with audio for beginners.
- Learn a new skill- YouTube is a great resource for tutorials on everything from learning a new instrument, practicing your cooking skills, speaking a new language, developing computer literacy, and much more. Make sure to check out all the videos from the Rec Squad!
Be in the Know
Visit these sites for the latest local information regarding COVID-19.
- San Diego County Health & Human Services Agency - This is the lead Agency in San Diego County directing our community’s response to COVID-19.
- City of El Cajon - Scroll to the bottom of the page to view updates.
- Cajon Valley Unified School District - This link will take you to CVUSD dedicated page on COVID-19 info.
- Centers for Disease Control - CDC’s COVID-19 site.
Visit these sites for information on food resources.
- San Diego Food Bank - Food programs for all
- CVUSD Student Meal Program - Obtain breakfast and lunch for your child while school is out
- Meals on Wheels - Meal delivery for older adults
Fun for the Kids (or kids at heart)
- Hold a virtual play date through video chat.
- Go for a drive for a change of scenery while staying in the safety of your car.
- Teach a young person how to write and send a letter.
- Take a Virtual Vacation - Explore a National Park using Google Earth! Use Street View to see places like you’re actually there.
- Virtually ride a ride at Disnyland/DisneyWorld.
- Watch a Broadway Show for free.
- Watch the San Diego Zoo Livecam.
- Head to the Scripps Aquarium to view their Kelp Cam.
- Visit one of many museums around the world through their virtual tours.
- Take a mobile tour with The San Diego Museum of Man.
- Check out some recycled arts and crafts ideas.
- Check out some “rainy day fun” on Pinterest.
- Try your hand at the Daily Doodle lessons by Mo Willems.
- Spark your creativity with art lessons at the Art for Kids Hub.
- Find free coloring pages from Crayola.
- The San Diego Padres are offering free kids activities on their Compadres Kids site, as well as a list of additional resources offered by their partners.
- The San Diego Air and Space Museum offers a growing collection of content including rare archival footage and exciting stories on their SDASM TV site. Additionally, they are hosting weekly STEM Challenges to push your creativity and problem-solving skills.
- Wide Open School
- Scholastic Learn at Home
- NASA STEM at Home
- KPBS AT-HOME-LEARNING
- KPBS Online Educational Games For Kids
- List of Education Companies Offering Free Subscriptions
- Educational shows on Netflix, Hulu, Disney +, and Prime VideoEducational Resources for the little ones
- USA Today- list of free educational resources
- Elementary Institute of Science- Fun and Easy Science Activities for Home
Educational Resources for Little Ones
- Toddler and preschool ideas at Preschool Inspirations
- Crafts, projects, recipes and more for young children at Funology
- Starfall Phonics Skills
- Read, play games, or hang out with Dr. Seuss
Follow Us For Updates And New Ideas
Facebook- City of El Cajon